Here, transdisciplinary research achievements are summarized.
Development of Disadvantaged Areas
JSPS Program for Leading Graduate Schools – TAOYAKA Program (Taoyaka Society – a flexible, enduring, and peaceful society of coexistence): here
Global Environmental Issues
[JST] Global Environmental Leaders Special Education Program: here
Capacity Building for Environmental Management
[JSPS] The 21st COE Program for Social Capacity Development for Environmental Management and International Cooperation: here
Our program members have actively conducted research on the COVID-19 pandemic since March 2020. The following are some achievements.
- WCTRS COVID-19 Task Force: the co-chair Junyi Zhang
- The first book on pandemics in the field of transportation will be published by Elsevier in August 2022: Transportation Amid Pandemics: Practices and Policies, edited by Junyi Zhang and Yoshitsugu Hayashi (in total, 36 chapters).
- Junyi Zhang*, Yoshitsugu Hayashi, Lawrence D. Frank (2021) COVID-19 and Transport: Findings from a World-wide Expert Survey. Transport Policy, 103, 68-85 (highly cited paper and hot paper)
- Shuang Ma#, Shuangjin Li#, and Junyi Zhang* (2021) Diverse and nonlinear influences of built environment factors on the spread of COVID-19 across townships in China at its initial stage. Nature – Scientific Reports, 11, 12415
- Junyi Zhang (2021) People’s responses to the COVID-19 pandemic during its early stages and factors affecting those responses. Nature – Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, 8: 37, https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-021-00720-1 (highly cited paper)
- Saori Kashima*, Junyi Zhang* (2021) Temporal trends in voluntary behavioural changes during the early stages of the COVID-19 outbreak in Japan. Public Health, 192, 37-44.
- Junyi Zhang (2020) Transport policymaking that accounts for COVID-19 and future public health threats: A PASS approach. Transport Policy, 99, 405-418. (highly cited paper)
- Chao Chen; Tao Feng, Xiaoning Gu (2022) Role of latent factors and public policies in travel decisions under COVID-19 pandemic: Findings of a hybrid choice model. Sustainable Cities and Society, 78, 103601.
- Chao Chen; Tao Feng, Xiaoning Gu, Baozhen Yao (2022) Investigating the effectiveness of COVID-19 pandemic countermeasures on the use of public transport: A case study of The Netherlands. Transport Policy, 117, 98–107.
- Ayyoob Sharifi, Amir RezaKhavarian-Garmsir (2020) The COVID-19 pandemic: Impacts on cities and major lessons for urban planning, design, and management. Science of The Total Environment, 749, 142391.
- Our program members co-organized the first international conference on pandemics in the urban and transport fields [International e-Conference on Pandemics and Transport Policy (ICPT2020)]. Details: here.
Nexuses with Energy
- Kubota, T., Lee, H.S., Trihamdani, A.R., Phuong, T.T.T., Tanaka, T., Matsuo, K. (2017) Impacts of land use changes from the Hanoi Master Plan 2030 on urban islands: Part 1. Cooling effects of proposed green strategies, Sustainable Cities and Society, 33, pp. 295-317.
- Lee, H.S., Trihamdani, A.R., Kubota, T., Iizuka, S., Phuong, T.T.T. (2017) Impacts of land use changes from the Hanoi Master Plan 2030 on urban islands: Part 2. Influence of global warming, Sustainable Cities and Society, 31, pp. 95-108.
- Trihamdani, A.R., Lee, H.S., Kubota, T., Phuong, T.T.T. (2015) Configuration of green spaces for urban heat island mitigation and future building energy conservation in Hanoi Master Plan 2030, Buildings 2015, 5(3), pp.933-947.
- Biying YU, Junyi ZHANG, Akimasa FUJIWARA (2016) Who rebounds in the private transport sector? A comparative analysis between Beijing and Tokyo. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science, 43 (3), 561-579. [doi: 10.1177/0265813515614671]
- Biying YU, Yaming TIAN, Junyi ZHANG (2015) A dynamic active energy demand management system for evaluating the effect of policy scheme on household energy consumption behavior. Energy, 91, 491–506. [doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2015.07.131]
- Biying YU, Junyi ZHANG (2015) Modeling household energy consumption behavior: A comparative analysis. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 39, 126-140. [doi: 10.1016/j.trd.2015.07.001]
- Biying YU, Junyi ZHANG, Akimasa FUJIWARA (2013) Rebound effects caused by the improvement of vehicle energy efficiency: An analysis based on an SP-off-RP survey. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 24, 62-68. [doi: 10.1016/j.trd.2013.06.001]
- Biying YU, Junyi ZHANG, Akimasa FUJIWARA (2013) A household time use and energy consumption model with multiple behavioral interactions and zero-consumption. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 40 (2), 330-349. [doi: 10.1068/b38213]
- Biying YU, Junyi ZHANG, Akimasa FUJIWARA (2012) Analysis of the residential location choice and household energy consumption behavior by incorporating multiple self-selection effects. Energy Policy, 46, 319-334. [doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2012.03.067]
- Biying YU, Junyi ZHANG, Akimasa FUJIWARA (2011) Representing in-home and out-of-home energy consumption behavior in Beijing. Energy Policy, 39(7), 4168-4177. [doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2011.04.024]
- Zhang, R., Fujimori, S. The role of transport electrification in global climate change mitigation scenarios. Environmental Research Letters, 15: 1–12, 2020.
- Zhang, R., Fujimori, S., Hanaoka, T. The contribution of transport policies to the mitigation potential and cost of 2 °C and 1.5 °C goals. Environmental Research Letters, 13: 1–12, 2018.
- Zhang, R., Fujimori, S., Dai, H., Hanaoka, T. Contribution of transport sector to climate change mitigation: insights from a global passenger transport model coupled with a computable general equilibrium model. Applied Energy, 211: 76–88, 2018.
- Zhang, R., Matsushima, K., Kobayashi, K. Can land use planning help mitigate transport-related carbon emissions? A case of Changzhou. Land Use Policy, 74: 32–40, 2018.
Disasters and Planning
- Chikaraishi, M., Garg, P., Varghese, V., Yoshizoe, K., Urata, J., Shiomi, Y., Watanabe, R. (2020) On the possibility of short-term traffic prediction during disaster with machine learning approaches: An exploratory analysis, Transport Policy, 98, 91-104.
- Wu, L., Junyi ZHANG, A.B.M. Sertajur RAHMAN (2018) Location choice behavior adapting to flood and cyclone hazards. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 27, 189-198. [doi: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.10.006]
- Qingchang LU, Junyi ZHANG, A.B.M. Sertajur RAHMAN (2017) The interrelationship between travel behavior and life choices in adapting to flood disasters. Natural Hazards, 85(2), 1005-1022. [doi: 10.1007/s11069-016-2617-1]
- Wu, L., Chikaraishi, M., Nguyen, T.A.H., Fujiwara, A. (2021) Analysis of post-disaster population movement by using mobile spatial statistics, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 54, 102047.
- Lingling WU, Junyi ZHANG, Qingchang LU, ABM Sertajur RAHMAN (2017) Tourist adaptation behavior in response to climate disasters in Bangladesh. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 25 (2), 217-233. [doi: 10.1080/09669582.2016.1195837]
Nexuses with Health
- Kanae SATO (OSAKI), Junyi ZHANG*, Kana KAZAWA, Michiko MORIYAMA (2020) Patterns of Elderly People’s Long-Term Care Risks and Determinants: A Methodological Study in a Japanese City. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 20(7), 674-679.
- David PEREZ BARBOSA, Junyi ZHANG, Hajime SEYA (2016) Effects of the Residential Environment on Health in Japan Linked with Travel Behavior. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13, 190. [doi: 10.3390/ijerph13020190]
- Hosaka, T., Numata, S., Sugimoto, K. 2018. Relationship between childhood nature play and adulthood participation in nature-based recreation among urban residents in Tokyo area. Landscape and Urban Planning 180: 1-4.
- Yorifuji T, Kashima S, Higa Diez M, Kado Y, Sanada S, Doi H: Prenatal exposure to outdoor air pollution and child behavioral problems at school age in Japan. Environment International 2017; 99:192-198.
- Yorifuji T, Kashima S, Doi H: Outdoor Air Pollution and Term Low Birth Weight in Japan. Environment International 2015; 74: 106-111
- Yorifuji T and Kashima S.: Air pollution: another cause of lung cancer. Lancet Oncology 2013; 14(9): 788-789
Smart mobility, autonomous vehicles, smartphone apps, smart energy, smart health, smart built environment, etc.
- Chikaraishi, M., Khan, D., Yasuda, B., Fujiwara, A. (2020) Risk Perception and Social Acceptability of Autonomous Vehicles: A Case Study in Hiroshima, Japan, Transport Policy (Accepted).
- Weiyan Zong, Junyi ZHANG* (2019) Use of smartphone applications and its impacts on urban life: A survey and random forest analysis in Japan. Sustainable Cities and Society, 49, 101589 [doi: 10.1016/j.scs.2019.101589]
- Ying JIANG, Junyi ZHANG* (2018) Capturing ownership behavior of autonomous vehicles in Japan based on a stated preference survey and a mixed logit model with repeated choices. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 13(10), 788-801 [doi: 10.1080/15568318.2018.1517841].
- Ying Jiang, Junyi Zhang, Yinhai Wang (2019) Stated ownership and intended in-vehicle time use of privately-owned autonomous vehicles. In: Goulias, K.G. and Davis, A.W. (eds.), Mapping the Travel Behavior Genome, Chapter 29 (pp.577-594), Elsevier.
- Ying JIANG, Junyi ZHANG*, Wenyuan Wang, Yinhai Wang (2019) Drivers’ behavioral responses to driving risk diagnosis and real-time warning information provision on expressway: A smartphone app based driving experiment. Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, 13(10) (Published online: 11 Oct 2018) [doi: 10.1080/19439962.2018.1483988]
- Ying JIANG, Junyi ZHANG* (2017) Influence of smartphone apps with driving safety related diagnosis functions on expressway driving speed changes. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 144(1) [doi: 10.1061/JTEPBS.0000098]
- Best Scientific Paper Award, The 21st World Congress of Intelligent Transport Systems, Detroit, USA, September 7-11, 2014: Junyi ZHANG, Ying JIANG, Katsushi SASAKI, Masaki TSUBOUCHI, Takeshi MATSUSHITA, Toru KAWAI, Akimasa FUJIWARA (2014) A GPS-enabled Smart Phone App with Simplified Diagnosis Functions of Driving Safety and Warning Information Provision. Proceedings of The 21st World Congress of Intelligent Transport Systems, Detroit, USA, September 7-11, 2014.